50 Ways to Connect with Your Daughter
I have a mom friend I really admire. She’s wise, funny, and purposeful about raising her kids. But she’s not crafty, even though she has a daughter who’s at a “crafty” age. So since my friend doesn’t connect with her daughter in that area, she’s found other ways she can connect that has improved the mother-daughter relationship. One of these is sharing in and encouraging her daughter’s love of theater and performing.
How will you connect with your kids? To find new ways to connect, think about what brings your child joy, and then see how you can be a bigger part of it. We’ve come up with 50 ways to connect with your daughter to get you started. Some are for little girls, and some are for older girls. See which ones will work for you.
To find new ways to connect, think about what brings your child joy, and then see how you can be a bigger part of it.
1. Have a tea party.
2. Play dress-up.
3. Download a free eBook and read it together.
4. Decorate cupcakes
5. Do your hair.
6. Go window shopping.
8. Give each other a makeover.
9. Text her a verse every morning.
10. Take an art class.
11. Draw a picture of the same thing.
12. Look on Pinterest together.
13. Paint each other’s nails.
14. Pick flowers and press them.
15. Browse flash sale sites online.
16. Paint her room, or a wall in her room.
17. Go on a walk.
18. Decorate a small notebook and start a daily journal.
19. Give her a pedicure.
21. Cook a meal together.
22. Share Pillow Talk with her each night.
23. Bake a cake.
25. Play Scrabble, Scattegories, or Yahtzee.
26. Read stories about heroines in the Bible.
27. Sing at the top of your lungs to the radio.
28. Buy her a small gift.
29. Make cards for family and friends.
30. Rent a chick flick.
31. Make paper bag puppets.
32. Have a dance party.
34. Have a fashion show.
35. Make a macaroni necklace.
36. Draw silly pictures.
37. Look at photo albums.
38. Bake bread.
39. Plan a family vacation—even if you’re not sure you’ll ever be able to actually go.
40. Go garage sale-ing.
41. Have a dance contest.
42. Go to a museum.
43. Make muffins.
44. Have a tea party for her stuffed animals.
45. Make cookies.
46. Make a book using pictures from magazines.
48. Read poetry.
49. Plant a garden.
50. Take pictures of yourselves laughing and playing around.
Tell us! What is your favorite thing to do to connect with your daughter?
Adapted from: “21 Ways to Connect With Your Kids.” Copyright © 2012 by Kathi Lipp. Published by Harvest House Publishers, Eugene, OR. Used by permission.