- Lauren Dungy
- Shaunti Feldhahn
- Tim and Darcy Kimmel
- Betsy Landers
- Dr. Walt Larimore
- Mark Merrill
- Joanne Miller
- Dr. Gary J. Oliver
- Kathy Peel
- Dr. Greg Smalley
- Dr. Scott Turansky
- Jill Savage
Articles by Dr. Walt Larimore
- Your Child Needs a Well-Child Checkup
- You Are the Key to Your Teen’s Well-Being
- Why Energy Drinks Are Bad for Your Teeth
- Why Bottled Water is Bad for Your Teeth
- Why Baby Media Does Not Advance Learning
- Whooping Cough Epidemic
- What Is the Genetic Link With ADHD?
- What Is My ADHD Child Feeling?
- What about Adopted Children?
- Weight Loss That Works…and Keeps Working
- The Ten Commitments of Great Parents
- The Teen Years--Ready, Set, Go
- The Parental Team--It Takes Two
- The One Thing Your Kids Need to Avoid for A Good Night’s Sleep
- The Different Layers of Health Care
- The Death-Defying Power of Healthy Marriage
- The Crucial Importance of R.E.S.T.
- The Attributes of Great Parents
- The ADHD Child
- The ABCD's of Parenting Teens
- The 12 Ways of Hands-On Parents
- Television and Childhood Obesity
- Superfoods for Women
- Summer – Fun, Food, Fellowship, and Fat?
- Study shows no link between increased cell phone use and brain cancer incidence
- Small Changes Bring Big Results
- Showing Gratitude for Partner's Generosity
- Quality Time or Quantity Time?
- Postpartum Depression
- Poll Shows Sex within Marriage is More Fulfilling
- Obesity: Television, Video Games and Your Children’s Health
- Obesity: Soft Drinks Effect Health
- Obesity: It’s a Killer Epidemic
- Obesity: Children and Fast Food
- Loud Music and Teenage Hearing Loss
- Learn as much about ADHD as you can
- Is Chocolate the Next Super Food?
- Is ADHD Different in Boys and Girls?
- Is ADHD Associated With Risk-Taking Behaviors?
- How to Change These Four Bad Habits
- How to be Happier and More Satisfied
- How Common Is ADHD?
- Hepatitis C and Tattoos
- Healthy Holidays
- Hands-on Parenting: How it Works
- Good Relationship with Dad Can Help Fight Stress
- Fast food and your family
- Explore Treatment Options
- Dr. Larimore’s 11 Tips for Weight Loss Success
- Disciplining Older Kids
Dr. Walt LarimoreWalt Larimore, M.D. has been called “one of America’s best known family physicians.” He is a nationally-known and nationally sought after speaker and health expert. read bio
Explore Treatment Options
In a Parade Magazine article, Dr. Isadore Rosenfeld of the Cornell Medical Center described what is happening in health care in the United States:
The truth is, medical care is rationed in this country. Physicians are spending less time with their patients. Many now work for insurance companies or managed care providers who have the last word on what tests or treatments they’ll pay for. You may not even be told that there are better options than what you’ve been offered. So now, more than ever, you’re essentially on your own when it comes to protecting your health and well-being.
I am not saying that you must become an expert to have any hope of receiving proper medical attention. What I’m saying is this: When you actively participate in your family’s care — in partnership with a physician who encourages such teamwork — you are operating according to the best model of medicine, the one most likely to result in good health.
Whenever possible, get all the information you can from your doctor about the risks, benefits and costs of each treatment option he may recommend. Ask each health care expert you see, “What are all the potential treatments available to me, and how do you suggest we analyze them to come up with the best treatment option?” Ask how your (or your child’s) condition can be expected to progress with treatment — and without treatment.
Many providers aren’t used to caring for people who are their own health care quarterbacks. Some may seem bothered or not have time for these discussions. If your doctor is reluctant to answer all your questions and let you make the final decision, you may need to change doctors.
You may be thinking, But my HMO won’t allow me to change doctors more than once a year. I’m stuck! Fortunately, that’s not true if you’re dissatisfied with your doctor. Just call the insurance company or HMO and explain your problem –– and why you need to change doctors. Most companies are not only understanding but also quite helpful to patients in these situations. If you need to further understand the different options in the health insurance arena, you can download a valuable document by going to www.10essentials.net and clicking on "10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People." Scroll down to the chapter 11 references and click on “Choosing and Using a Health Plan.”
It never hurts to get more than one opinion about the best course of treatment for your (or your child’s) specific problem. It’s your right to have the information you need to make a wise decision.
Used with permission and adapted from the book, 10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People by Walt Larimore, M.D. with Traci Mullins.
information within this site is not intended for use in the diagnosis or
treatment of any health condition. Please consult a licensed health care
professional for the treatment or diagnosis of any medical condition.
© 2007 iMom. All rights reserved