- Lauren Dungy
- Shaunti Feldhahn
- Tim and Darcy Kimmel
- Betsy Landers
- Dr. Walt Larimore
- Mark Merrill
- Joanne Miller
- Dr. Gary J. Oliver
- Kathy Peel
- Dr. Greg Smalley
- Dr. Scott Turansky
- Jill Savage
Articles by Dr. Walt Larimore
- Your Child Needs a Well-Child Checkup
- You Are the Key to Your Teen’s Well-Being
- Why Energy Drinks Are Bad for Your Teeth
- Why Bottled Water is Bad for Your Teeth
- Why Baby Media Does Not Advance Learning
- Whooping Cough Epidemic
- What Is the Genetic Link With ADHD?
- What Is My ADHD Child Feeling?
- What about Adopted Children?
- Weight Loss That Works…and Keeps Working
- The Ten Commitments of Great Parents
- The Teen Years--Ready, Set, Go
- The Parental Team--It Takes Two
- The One Thing Your Kids Need to Avoid for A Good Night’s Sleep
- The Different Layers of Health Care
- The Death-Defying Power of Healthy Marriage
- The Crucial Importance of R.E.S.T.
- The Attributes of Great Parents
- The ADHD Child
- The ABCD's of Parenting Teens
- The 12 Ways of Hands-On Parents
- Television and Childhood Obesity
- Talking to Your Kids About Puberty
- Superfoods for Women
- Summer – Fun, Food, Fellowship, and Fat?
- Study shows no link between increased cell phone use and brain cancer incidence
- Small Changes Bring Big Results
- Showing Gratitude for Partner's Generosity
- Quality Time or Quantity Time?
- Postpartum Depression
- Poll Shows Sex within Marriage is More Fulfilling
- Obesity: Television, Video Games and Your Children’s Health
- Obesity: Soft Drinks Effect Health
- Obesity: It’s a Killer Epidemic
- Obesity: Children and Fast Food
- Loud Music and Teenage Hearing Loss
- Learn as much about ADHD as you can
- Is Chocolate the Next Super Food?
- Is ADHD Different in Boys and Girls?
- Is ADHD Associated With Risk-Taking Behaviors?
- How to Change These Four Bad Habits
- How to be Happier and More Satisfied
- How Common Is ADHD?
- Hepatitis C and Tattoos
- Healthy Holidays
- Hands-on Parenting: How it Works
- Good Relationship with Dad Can Help Fight Stress
- Fast food and your family
- Explore Treatment Options
- Dr. Larimore’s 11 Tips for Weight Loss Success
Dr. Walt LarimoreWalt Larimore, M.D. has been called “one of America’s best known family physicians.” He is a nationally-known and nationally sought after speaker and health expert. read bio
The Different Layers of Health Care
Primary care. Family physicians, pediatricians and general internists are trained to diagnose and treat more than 90 percent of the problems you may have. For the conditions they can’t treat, they should be happy to help you receive whatever specialty care you may need. For most patients, the best choice for a health care coach and advocate will be a primary care physician.
Secondary care. Specialists are usually highly trained to care for a single organ system in their area of expertise. For example, cardiologists care for problems of the heart and blood vessels, and neurologists care for problems of the brain, spinal cord and nerves. For some patients, because of their type of problem, the best choice for a health care coach or advocate is a specialist.
Tertiary care. For those problems that occur rarely or for treatments that are new, a person is best treated in the large medical centers usually associated with medical schools, research centers or residency training programs. These centers conduct research and are usually up-to-date with the newest treatments, as well as any experimental treatments.
Taken with permission and adapted from the book, 10 Essentials of Highly Healthy People by Walt Larimore, M.D. with Traci Mullins.
information within this site is not intended for use in the diagnosis or
treatment of any health condition. Please consult a licensed health care
professional for the treatment or diagnosis of any medical condition.
© 2007 iMom. All rights reserved.