- Lauren Dungy
- Shaunti Feldhahn
- Tim and Darcy Kimmel
- Betsy Landers
- Dr. Walt Larimore
- Mark Merrill
- Joanne Miller
- Dr. Gary J. Oliver
- Kathy Peel
- Dr. Greg Smalley
- Dr. Scott Turansky
- Jill Savage
Articles by Mark Merrill
- Top 10 Automatic Robo-Mom Replies to Avoid
- The Secret to Loving an Unlovable Spouse
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Motive
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Method
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Be this Kind of Model
- The Meaning of True Love
- The Blessing FAQ's
- The Antidotes to Toxins of the Tongue in Marriage
- How to Create Boundaries for your Children
- A Sample Blessing for Your Child
- 8 Mistakes I've Made in Marriage
- 7 Ways to Have a Dream Marriage
- 7 Reasons I'm Not the Husband I Want to Be
- 7 Foundational Principles of Tried-and-True Discipline
- 5 Ways to Show Your Kids You Love and Validate Them
- 5 Ways to Prepare Your Children for the Unexpected
- 5 Toxins of the Tongue that Can Poison Your Marriage
- 5 Step Marriage Action Plan
- 5 Reasons Your Child Should Work
- 5 Reasons Why Your Teen is Rebelling
- 4 Ways to Know if You Will Benefit from Marriage Counseling
- 4 Ways to Give your Spouse your Freshest and Best
- 4 Ways to Compliment More
- 4 Truths for Your Marriage
- 4 Steps to Marriage CPR
- 4 Steps to Choosing a Good Marriage Counselor
- 4 Reasons Moms Need to be “Controlling” Parents
- 4 Foundational Principles of Discipline
- 4 C's That Can Spell Catastrophe in Your Marriage
- 3 Ways to Rebuild Trust in Your Marriage
- 3 Ways to Have a Team Mindset in Marriage
- 3 Things Your Children Need from You
- 3 Secrets for Beating Loneliness in Your Marriage
- 23 Things I've Learned in 23 Years of Marriage
- 12 Questions Moms Should Ask Themselves Every Day
- 10 Things Husbands Want to Hear from their Wives
Mark MerrillMark Merrill is the founder and president of Family First, a widely respected national non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the family. read bio
10 Things Husbands Want to Hear from their Wives
Mark Twain once commented, "I can live for two months on a good compliment." I agree. There is nothing like specific and detailed praise and validation to energize a marriage. After some research here at Family First, we found the 10 things husbands want to hear most from their wives. And if we missed one, please post your idea in the comments section below.
1. "I love being your wife." As simple as it sounds, husbands want to know that their wives are content in their marriage, and truly enjoy just being with them. When is the last time you thanked your husband for marrying you? Don't just assume he knows. Tell him!
2. "You're an outstanding father." Deep in the heart of every man is the desire to be seen as a hero—especially to his children. Specifically tell your husband why he is your kids' hero. And, tonight at dinner, tell your children why he is so special.
3. "I'm really attracted to you. You are the man!" It's a myth that women are always more looks-conscious than men. As guys' hairlines begin to recede and stomachs start protruding, they can become quite sensitive about their appearance. Never joke about how your husband looks. Tell him he's "hot" and how attracted you are to him.
4. "I really respect the decision you made." When a man makes a decision, especially a tough one, he doesn't want his wife being critical of it or questioning him about it. He wants to know that his wife is behind him and admires his ability to make good decisions.
5. "I know how important it is to live within our means. I'm with you on this." Your husband is concerned about the future of your family. So that means he is concerned about taking care of his family financially. Having a wife he can rely on to spend and save wisely is a tremendous comfort to him.
6. "I'm so grateful for your spiritual leadership." All of us are hardwired for a relationship with God, and many men want to be seen as the spiritual caretakers of their families. Encourage your husband in his faith and for taking his role as a spiritual leader seriously.
7. "You are so wise." Many men are born problem solvers and relish the process of thinking through something and arriving at a solution. This, incidentally, is why your husband is always trying to "fix" your problems when all you want him to do is listen. Recognizing your husband's mental prowess and complimenting him on his intelligence will pay massive dividends to you. Emphasize to him that you trust his wise judgment.
8. "I appreciate how hard you work to provide for our family." There are many things in life that your husband cannot control, but one he can control is effort. It brings him great pleasure to work hard and see the results. To directly control, and be the man responsible for creating something from nothing thrills him. Encourage his great work ethic.
9. "Thank you very much for helping me with that." When a man serves his wife, he wants her to recognize it. A simple "thank you" is all he needs.
10. "I'm impressed with how you handled that situation." Sometimes a wife will point out when her husband does not handle something well. So when he handles a particularly difficult situation well, let him know.
Related Resource: 10 More Things Husbands Want to Hear from their Wives
Pillow Talk: End your day talking with your child.
What three things do you think children want the most from their moms?
©2011, Mark Merrill. All rights reserved. Originally published at www.markmerrill.com.comments powered by Disqus