- Lauren Dungy
- Shaunti Feldhahn
- Tim and Darcy Kimmel
- Betsy Landers
- Dr. Walt Larimore
- Mark Merrill
- Joanne Miller
- Dr. Gary J. Oliver
- Kathy Peel
- Dr. Greg Smalley
- Dr. Scott Turansky
- Jill Savage
Articles by Mark Merrill
- Top 10 Automatic Robo-Mom Replies to Avoid
- The Secret to Loving an Unlovable Spouse
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Motive
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Method
- The Secret to Getting Your Kids to Obey You: Be this Kind of Model
- The Meaning of True Love
- The Blessing FAQ's
- The Antidotes to Toxins of the Tongue in Marriage
- How to Create Boundaries for your Children
- A Sample Blessing for Your Child
- 8 Mistakes I've Made in Marriage
- 7 Ways to Have a Dream Marriage
- 7 Reasons I'm Not the Husband I Want to Be
- 7 Foundational Principles of Tried-and-True Discipline
- 5 Ways to Show Your Kids You Love and Validate Them
- 5 Ways to Prepare Your Children for the Unexpected
- 5 Toxins of the Tongue that Can Poison Your Marriage
- 5 Step Marriage Action Plan
- 5 Reasons Your Child Should Work
- 5 Reasons Why Your Teen is Rebelling
- 4 Ways to Know if You Will Benefit from Marriage Counseling
- 4 Ways to Give your Spouse your Freshest and Best
- 4 Ways to Compliment More
- 4 Truths for Your Marriage
- 4 Steps to Marriage CPR
- 4 Steps to Choosing a Good Marriage Counselor
- 4 Reasons Moms Need to be “Controlling” Parents
- 4 Foundational Principles of Discipline
- 4 C's That Can Spell Catastrophe in Your Marriage
- 3 Ways to Rebuild Trust in Your Marriage
- 3 Ways to Have a Team Mindset in Marriage
- 3 Things Your Children Need from You
- 3 Secrets for Beating Loneliness in Your Marriage
- 23 Things I've Learned in 23 Years of Marriage
- 12 Questions Moms Should Ask Themselves Every Day
- 10 Things Husbands Want to Hear from their Wives
Mark MerrillMark Merrill is the founder and president of Family First, a widely respected national non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the family. read bio
23 Things I've Learned in 23 Years of Marriage
I’ve been married for 23 years and have had children for 22 of those years. Here are a few things I’ve learned.
1. Life on earth passes by very quickly. I feel like I was 18 just a few years ago.
2. Children grow up so fast. Is my oldest daughter really graduating from college this year?
3. There are very few things that I really can control and I’ve spent too much time trying to control too many things.
4. I’ve spent too much time obsessing about things.
5. Marriage takes a lot of hard work.
6. How attracted I am to my wife.
7. Raising young children is physically exhausting, but worth it.
8. Raising teenagers is emotionally exhausting, but worth it.
9. How much joy my children bring me.
10. The importance of honoring my mom and dad.
11. How selfish I am.
12. That I’m just one decision away from doing something really foolish.
13. How dangerous my tongue can be.
14. How impatient I can be.
15. The importance of working for eternal rewards. Rewards on earth aren’t worth much.
16. How to trust God in everything.
17. Nothing else is more important than relationships. If it doesn’t have a heartbeat, it’s ultimately not worth much.
18. Giving my children what they need is more important than giving them what they want.
19. The importance of spending time reflecting.
20. Love and joy are not just feelings, they are decisions.
21. I must overcome evil with good.
22. Marriage is not just about happiness; it’s about holiness.
23. Loving God and loving others should be my greatest desire.
Related Resource: 5 Reasons a Little Effort in Marriage Goes a Long Way
End your day: Talking with your child...
Name one thing you’ve learned for each year you’ve been alive!
©2012, Mark Merrill. All rights reserved. Originally published at www.markmerrill.com.comments powered by Disqus