31 Ideas for Mom's Daily "Me Time"
Want to make a stressed-out mom laugh? Say something like, “You just need to take more time for yourself!” or “You should get some rest.” Ha! How?? When?? And who would keep the Earth turning on its axis for my family while I took this break?
It may seem impossible with all you have on your plate, but taking time to renew and recharge is a good investment that pays real returns. A rested, physically and emotionally healthy woman is a better mom, a better wife, and can accomplish more in fewer hours than the frazzled, drained-dry version of herself.
Everybody needs a break from the demands of daily living. And moms are no exception. Downtime is important. Don't think of it as self-indulgent… think of it as self-preservation. Giving yourself permission to slow down and relax for a few moments a day, or a few hours each week, will help you gain a fresh outlook and a renewed sense of perspective. So try a few of these 31 Ideas for Mom’s Daily “Me” Time.
1. Go to the movies with your best friend. Have popcorn.
2. Write something. Poetry, a letter, a short story, a journal, or blog entry.
3. Dance your heart out.
4. Take a bubble bath with soft music, candles, and a glass of ice-cold sparkling cider in your best crystal flute.
5. Take a walk in the woods.
6. Window shop for ideas of what you'll wear to your daughter's wedding – even if it's 15 years away.
7. Treat yourself to lunch. A sit-down restaurant, please…you can hit the drive-thru anytime!
8. Take a nap. A real nap…flopping down on the couch doesn't count! Get in bed, under the covers.
9. Buy some pretty underwear…the kind that doesn't come in a 3-pack.
10. Catch up on your reading. Find a good book or that stack of magazines you've been too busy to get to.
11. Go for a swim. Clear out all the kids' gear and hop in…or go to the Y or neighborhood pool.
12. Reconnect with a friend. Call someone you haven't talked to in a while.
13. Pull out your wedding album and remember how you felt right before you walked down the aisle.
14. Take your mom to lunch. She could use a break too! .
15. Pray and read your Bible or devotional.
16. Get crafty. Try your hand at something new or do a craft you’ve been putting off forever.
17. Try yoga. Stretch yourself.
18. Go for a drive. Play your favorite tunes, put the windows down, and let the wind blow through your hair.
19. Get a pedicure! Treat your feet and your whole body will thank you!
20. Have a tea party. Find a tea room and enjoy being pampered.
21. Watch something at home. A movie, TV show, whatever!
22. Hit some yard sales! Even if you don't find anything, it can be a blast to browse!
23. Go to your happy place. Close your eyes and you're there.
24. Take a bike ride. Take a few spins around the block or venture out farther.
25. Try a new recipe. Choose something you like without trying to please picky eaters.
26. Pick up some flowers. They’ll brighten your house and brighten your day!
27. Go thrift shopping. See what treasures you can find.
28. Go MIA. Don’t take any calls for half an hour (unless it’s an emergency, of course).
29. Get a massage. It will be the most relaxing 30 minutes of your day!
30. Have a play date! Connect with a friend for bowling, miniature golf, or tennis.
31. Do nothing. (Yes, it's really okay…)
Related Resource: Decompress in 10 Minutes or Less
Pillow Talk: End your day talking with your child.
When you have free time, what is your favorite thing to do?
© 2013 iMOM. All Rights Reserved. Family First, All Pro Dad, iMOM, and Family Minute with Mark Merrill are registered trademarks.
comments powered by Disqus