Money: The Truth About Budgeting
By: Dave Ramsey
Myth: I don't have time to work on a budget.
Truth: You don't have time not to make a budget!
The dreaded "B" word. Budget. The only other word that starts with "B" that might generate a worse reaction in most people is the word bankruptcy.
Unfortunately, the word budget has gotten a bum rap – it is basically just a PLAN. When you budget, you're spending on paper, on purpose, before the month begins. But many people view a budget as a strait jacket that keeps them constrained. Freedom and budget just don't seem to go together.
However, when you see that a budget is just spending your money with intention, you'll actually experience more freedom than before. Many people say they've found even more money when they created a realistic budget and stuck with it.
Here are some tips:
- Give it three to four months to start working. It won't be perfect the first time you do it.
- Spend every dime on paper before the month begins.
- Over-fund your groceries category. Most people underfund that category.
- Husbands (if applicable) need to loosen up and quit using the budget as a whipping tool on their wives.
- If married, spouses need to do the budget together.
When you are spending your money on purpose, you will be on your way to a Total Money Makeover. You will be on the road to changing your family tree forever!
Taken with permission from www.daveramsey.com.
comments powered by Disqus