4-Layer Red Velvet Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Ingredients for Cake:
- 2 ¼ cups Buttermilk
- 3 cups Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- ¼ cup Red Food Coloring
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 5 cups Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 tsp Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Sugar
Ingredients for Frosting:
- 2 sticks of Butter at room temperature
- 24 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 3 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 2 cups Pecans, chopped
Directions for Cake:
- Combine and mix first six wet ingredients.
- Slowly incorporate remaining dry ingredients, mixing until well blended.
- Spray four 9-inch pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350°F.
- Allow cakes to cool completely before removing from pans.
Directions for Frosting:
- Using a hand mixer, cream together butter, cream cheese, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Place the first layer on a cake plate and place a dollop of frosting in the center of the layer
- Using an offset spatula (or any flat knife), spread the frosting to cover the top of the layer, but don’t worry about the sides.
- Stack another cake on top of the first layer and repeat the frosting process, do this for all four layers.
- Put remaining frosting on the top of the cake and using your spatula, frost the sides of the cake, applying any decorative swirls or marks you desire.
- Sprinkle the top and sides with nuts.
Make Ahead Note:
After Baking, freeze the layers individually. When ready to serve, thaw and ice.
Here are some easy Freezing Tips and more Make Ahead recipes!
For more pictures of this yummy recipe, check out Susan’s blog!
Recipe compiled by iMOM Staff.