iMOM » Recipes » Dessert » Date Bars
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2 cups brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1 lb. whole dates (not already chopped)
- I tsp. vanilla
- Mix 1 cup brown sugar with oats, flour and soda.
- Work in margarine with your hands until crumbly.
- Cut dates into pieces.
- Cook with 1 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, adding water as necessary to prevent sticking.
- Mash dates as they cook until small and to a paste consistency. Watch that they don't burn.
- Press half of crumb mixture on greased cookie sheet to ½" thickness.
- Spread cooled dates onto crumb mixture, keeping fingertips wet to more easily spread the dates.
- Top with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake 325° to 350°until brown on top (approximately 10 to 15 minutes).
- Once cool, cut in to 2" squares.
Skill Level: Easy
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Recipe compiled by iMOM staff.