Sugar Cookie Recipes
Nana's Sugar Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Mix above ingredients. (Do not overwork dough.)
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out on floured surface. Cut out shapes.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in pre-heated oven at 350 degrees. Depending on thickness, cookies may bake from 6 – 12 minutes. Check the oven to determine doneness. Edges should be only slightly browned.
Crisp Sugar Cookie
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sift together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil, confectioners' sugar and white sugar.
- Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Roll the dough into balls. Press flat.
- Bake until edges are slightly browned.
Remove cookies from oven and cool on rack.
Once the cookies have cooled, let the decorating begin! Start with a thin layer of homemade or store-bought vanilla frosting, and then let the kids get creative with sprinkles, candies and several tubes of colored icing.
They'll enjoy the chance to add their personal touch and you'll have fun watching them. Don't forget to take lots of pictures of the entire process -- so you can enjoy their cookie creations long after the last crumb is consumed!
Make Ahead Note:
Once cookies have cooled completely, wrap well. When you are ready to eat, allow to thaw and decorate!
Here are some easy Freezing Tips and more Make Ahead recipes!
Recipes compiled by iMOM staff.