Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
- 3 cups chopped yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ dried thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 5 pounds ground beef*
- 2 cups plain dry bread crumbs
- 3 extra-large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ketchup
- In a medium sauté pan, on medium-low heat, cook the onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, thyme until the onions are translucent but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Add the Worcestershire sauce, chicken stock, and tomato paste and mix well. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs and onion mixture in a large bowl. Mix well and shape into a rectangular loaf on an ungreased baking sheet. Spread the ketchup evenly on top.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours, until the internal temperature is 160 degrees and the meat loaf is cooked through. Serve hot, room temperature, or cold in a sandwich.
Skill Level: Easy
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
*Ground beef can be substituted with ground turkey for a leaner dish
Make Ahead Note:
After you have mixed the meat and shaped it into a rectangle, wrap and freeze the entire loaf. Allow meatloaf to completely thaw after removing from your freezer and before placing in the oven.
Here are some easy Freezing Tips and more Make Ahead recipes!
Recipe compiled by iMOM Staff.