Favorite French Onion Soup
- 4 onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth (chicken broth will work too, in a pinch)
- 1¼ cups water
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 French baguette, cut into ½” slices (regular bread can work too)
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onions in the butter for 10 minutes, or until onions are tender. Stir in the flour, ground black pepper and the sugar to form a pasty mixture.
- Add the beef broth, water, parsley and thyme and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- Fill individual oven safe bowls ¾ full with the soup. Place a slice of bread on top of the soup and cover with the cheese. Place bowls in the oven.
- Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Make Ahead Note:
After step 3, let soup cool and pour into freezer safe zip plastic bags or container (allow room for expansion). Once you are ready to use the soup, heat to desired temperature and proceed with steps 4-6.
Here are some easy Freezing Tips and more Make Ahead recipes!
*Recipe compiled by iMOM Staff