iMOM » Recipes » Main Dish » Junior Wellingtons
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef
- 3 eggs, 1 egg yolk
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 3 large cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry (one 17.3-oz package), defrosted as instructed on package
- 1 Tbs water
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, 2 eggs, yolk, buttermilk, Worcestershire sauce, Baby Bam, garlic, Italian Essence, and salt. Using a wooden spoon or your clean hands, stir well to combine.
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions, about ¾ cup each. Pat into patties 3½ inches in diameter and 1 inch thick each. Wash your hands.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and, when hot, cook 2 patties at a time until browned on both sides but not cooked all the way through: 2 minutes on the first side, and 1 minute on the second side. Remove the patties from the skillet and set aside on a plate to cool. Repeat with the remaining patties.
- Refrigerate the patties for 30 minutes. Position rack in center of oven. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. While the meat is cooling, lightly dust a work surface with the flour. Roll out one puff pastry sheet to about 1/16-inch thickness and cut four 6-inch rounds from the sheet. Repeat with the remaining puff pastry sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the remaining egg with the water and beat with a whisk or fork to make and egg wash. Place 4 of the pastry rounds on the prepared baking sheet and, using the pastry brush, paint a ½ -inch border of the egg wash around each of the 4 rounds.
- Place a chilled hamburger patty in the middle of the round and top each with 1 slice of cheese, letting the edges hang over the sides of the patty. Top the cheese with the remaining pastry rounds, pressing the edges together with a fork to seal. Paint the top and sides of each pastry round with the egg wash and, using the tip of a paring knife, cut a small "x" in the top of each Wellington to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the Wellingtons until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. Using oven mitts or pot holders, remove the baking sheet from the oven and serve the Wellingtons immediately.
Skill Level: Difficult
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Recipes compiled by iMOM Staff.