Chicken, Basil and Pesto Sandwiches
Don't let the green scare you, or your kids! Basil pesto is so delicious that your kids actually might like it. Hide it in this sandwich!
- Italian bread
- Pesto sauce (you can buy it in your grocery store's refrigerator section, or on the pasta aisle in a jar)
- Provolone cheese
- Grilled chicken (buy a pre-grilled whole chicken, or use frozen or refrigerated chicken breasts)
- Sliced tomatoes (optional)
- Cooking oil, for the pan
- Fresh basil
- Slice and heat chicken.
- Toast bread until golden brown. Then melt cheese over it.
- Add chicken and pesto sauce to the baked bread. Top with basil and tomatoes.
These delicious calzones are just like a folded over pizza. You have the delicious crust all the way around, and in the center are the delectable cheese, sauce, and other fillings of your choice. These delicious calzones can be a meat lover's dream, or a vegetarian's delight.
- Batch of pizza dough (use premade batches found in bakery section of supermarket)
- Ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese (1 cup each)
- Pizza sauce of your choice
- Heat the oven to 425°.
- Portion dough into 4 equal balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll or pat each ball into a 6- to 6 1/2-inch-diameter circle.
- Place pepperoni and cheese filling on one half of each of the dough circles, keeping a 1-inch border free.
- Dampen the dough edges with water. Fold the dough semicircle over the filling and seal the edges by pinching them together. Place the completed calzones on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden.
- Heat the sauce for about 10 minutes in a pan until bubbly. Place the calzones on individual plates and ladle Simple Sauce over each. Serves 4.
Pasta and Meat Salad
This dish is simple and tasty. Let your kids choose a fun pasta shape, and a meat of their choice.
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh cheese tortellini or pasta
- Vinaigrette dressing (buy prepared, or use your own olive oil, vinegar and salt)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham or other meat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini or other pasta and cook according to the package directions, or just until tender. Drain the water, rinse the pasta under cold water, and drain it again.
- In a large bowl toss the tortellini or pasta, and meat in the vinaigrette dressing. Top with grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Cover the bowl and let the salad stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, or cool in the refrigerator. If your children do not like cold foods, warm in the microwave. Makes 4 servings.
*Recipes compiled by iMOM Staff