Savory Roast Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 1 (6-pound) roasting chicken
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- After rinsing the chicken inside and out with cold water, dry with paper towels. Tuck the tips of the wings under the bottom to keep them from burning.
- Place onion slices in two rows in a heavy-duty roasting pan to form a bed for the chicken. The onions will flavor the chicken and the pan juices that form the base of the gravy.
- Set chicken on the bed of onion slices, breast-side up.
- Spread butter over the entire exposed surface of the chicken to ensure even browning. Sprinkle well with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken in the oven. In about 50 minutes, the skin should be crisp and a deep golden-brown color, and the juices should run clear when the chicken is pierced. Check the internal temperature of the breasts and thighs with an instant-read thermometer. When ready, the reading in the deepest part of the breast should be 180 degrees. The deepest part of the thigh should be 190 degrees.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, remove it from the pan, and transfer it to a serving platter. While it rests, make the pan gravy.
Place pan with onions and drippings over medium heat. Sprinkle with flour, and stir constantly until well combined. Add chicken stock, and cook, stirring occasionally, until gravy thickens (about 3 minutes). Strain, season with salt and pepper, and serve over chicken.
Recipe compiled by iMOM staff.