Sloppy Turkey Joes
1 + 1/3 lbs ground turkey or ground turkey breast (1 package)
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil (evoo) (2 turns of the pan)
½ red onion
½ red bell pepper
1 Tbs grill seasoning blend (a palmful), such as Montreal Seasoning by McCormick
2 Tbs brown sugar
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 cup tomato sauce (8 oz)
4 crusty sandwich rolls, split
12 celery sticks
12 carrot sticks
1. Using a pair of kitchen scissors, cut open the package of ground turkey and hand it off to your GH
(Grown-up Helper). Have your GH place a big skillet over medium-high heat for you. Add the evoo. Have
the GH add the ground turkey to the pan, in case it spatters. Break the turkey up with a big wooden
spoon as it starts to cook. If anyone touches the raw turkey, they should go wash their hands.
2. If you are a really good chopper, using a small, sharp knife chop up some red onion. Remember when you are
chopping to keep the fingers that are not holding the knife all tucked in and curled under. Have a GH
help you. You need half a red onion chopped up small. Pull the seeds and white membrane and the top
out of a half red bell pepper and chop that up small too. Add the veggies to the cooking meat and stir it
3. Mix in a small bowl: grill seasoning blend, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and the
tomato sauce. This will make your special sauce. When all the ingredients are combined, pour the sauce
evenly over the meat and stir everything together really well.
4. Turn the heat down to simmer and cook the sloppy mixture for 10 minutes. Blow on a spoonful until cool and taste it to see if you need to adjust
the seasoning. Have the GH help you serve.
5. Place bun bottoms on plates. Use a big ice cream scoop to get a pile of sloppy meat onto each bun. Put bun tops in place and serve with vegetable sticks on the
Yields 4 servings.
Skill Level: Easy
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Recipe taken with permission from from Cooking Rocks! Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meals For Kids.