Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 1 – lb. fresh broccoli in small pieces
- 1 1/3 stick butter
- 1/4 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tube Ritz Crackers
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
OPTIONAL: If you would like to make this casserole into a meal, instead of a side dish, add 2 cups cooked and cubed chicken breasts.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Steam broccoli for 3 minutes.
- In greased 13×9 pan, layer the broccoli (and chicken if using), then set aside.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt one stick of butter. Add the flour with a whisk until absorbed into the flour. Add the milk, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn heat to low and add 1 ½ cups of grated cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli, top with the remaining 1 ½ cups of cheese and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the remaining 1/3 stick of butter. Add the poppy seeds, stir and remove from the heat. Crush one tube of Ritz Crackers in the sleeve by gently squeezing the tube with your hands. Add crackers to the butter and poppy seeds and mix well. Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Casserole can be frozen prior to cooking.
Skill Level: easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Make Ahead Note:
Always freeze casserole before baking. Add crumble cracker topping immediately before baking.
Here are some easy Freezing Tips and more Make Ahead recipes!
Recipe compiled by iMOM staff.