iMOM » Recipes » Sides » Fluffy Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- 2 cups (280g) flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ cup (1 dL) vegetable shortening (butter-flavored Crisco works best)
- 2/3 (1 ½ dL) cup milk
- Grease a 8-inch cake pan or pie plate.
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, cream of tartar, and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around a fork (don't over mix or you'll have tough biscuits).
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 14 times.
- Pat gently until 1 to 1 ½ inches thick.
- Cut into rounds with a biscuit cutter or drinking glass.
- Place touching each other in the cake pan and bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly golden.
Recipe compiled by iMOM staff.