iMOM » Recipes » Sides » Sugar-And-Spice Acorn Squash
Sugar-And-Spice Acorn Squash
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 3 acorn squash (about 1½ lbs each)
- 10 Tbs salted butter, softened at room temperature
- 6 Tbs maple syrup
- 4 Tbs light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- Position rack in center of oven.
- On a cutting board, cut the squash in half lengthwise. An adult may have to do this, since the squash is both very hard and round. Be very careful! Scrape the seeds and fibers from the squash with a spoon. Cut each squash half in two and place the quarters in a baking dish so that they fit in one layer, skin side down.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the butter, maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until smooth with a rubber spatula. Divide the butter mixture among the squash quarters, about 1 Tbs each. Season the squash evenly with the black pepper. Butter mixture will melt inside the scooped-out squash wells.
- Cover the baking dish tightly with aluminum foil. Bake, covered, until the squash can be easily pierced with a fork, about 45 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and carefully remove the foil. With the pastry brush, brush the melted butter from the squash wells evenly over the inside of each squash. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or until the squash is golden brown around the edges. Remove the dish from the oven. Using a slotted spoon, carefully transfer the squash to serving plates and serve immediately.
Skill Level: Medium
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Recipes compiled by iMOM staff.