iMOM » Recipes » Sides » The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Ever
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Ever
- 4 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 c packed brown sugar
- ½ c all-purpose flour
- ⅓ c butter, melted
- 1 c chopped pecans
- Marshmallows – optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, sugar, eggs, milk, salt, ⅓ cup butter and vanilla. Mix together and pour into a greased 9”x13” baking dish. (Your casserole can be frozen at this stage. When you are ready to cook, proceed to Step 2.)
- To prepare the topping, combine in a separate bowl the brown sugar, flour, ⅓ cup melted butter and pecans. Mix together and crumble over sweet potato mixture. Bake uncovered at 350°F (175°C) for 35 to 45 minutes.
- If desired, add marshmallows to the top of casserole during the last 15 minutes of baking. Check periodically to make sure marshmallows do not burn.
Make Ahead Note:
- Prepare your sweet potatoes the night before. Bake at 400°F for one hour.
- Turn off the oven (baked potatoes may remain in the oven for up to 2 hours more.)
- Prepare the casserole according to the recipe, except for adding the topping.
- Refrigerate up to 24 hours prior to baking.
- When you are ready to bake, allow the casserole to warm to room temperature.
Recipe compiled by iMOM staff.