iMOM » Recipes » Slow Cooker » Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumplings
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 Cups Chicken Broth (48 oz. box)
- 1 10 oz. bag of crinkle cut carrots
- 4 ribs of celery, chopped
- 1 yellow onion quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup all-purpose (plain) flour
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
For the dumplings:
- 2 cups all-purpose (plain) flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- Salt to taste
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and chilled
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Place the chicken in a slow cooker. Pour in 6 cups of broth to cover chicken and add carrots, onion, celery, and bay leaf. Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, 6-7 hours on the low heat setting. Remove chicken from the cooker and set aside to cool. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred the meat in to large pieces.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Pour in the broth, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, until smooth and thickened, (8-10) minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove onion and bay leaf and discard. Place chicken back in slow cooker and set the temperature to high.
- Make the dumplings: In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, parsley and ½ teaspoon salt. Add the butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture has the texture of small peas. Gently stir in the milk and egg to form a sticky batter. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the dough into simmering sauce and chicken, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the dumplings look fluffy, about 30 minutes in the slow cooker.
Skill Level: Medium
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Recipe complied by iMOM staff.