iMOM » Recipes » Snacks » Chocolate and Peanut Butter Apples
Chocolate and Peanut Butter Apples
Need a sweet treat with a touch of goodness? Try iMOM’s chocolate and peanut butter apples. They’re perfect for any season and especially perfect for a Halloween treat.
- 10 to 12 medium apples, with stems removed
- 10 to 12 wooden craft sticks
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips (milk chocolate, dark chocolate or bittersweet)
- 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Peanut Butter Chips, divided
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shortening, divided (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
- (Sprinkles, optional)
- Line tray with wax paper. Wash apples; dry thoroughly. Insert wooden stick into stem end of each apple; place on prepared tray.
- Place chocolate chips, 2/3 cup peanut butter chips and 1/4 cup shortening in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) heat 1 minute (your microwave probably has a power setting. Set the time first, then hit power before hitting start); stir.
- If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred.
- Dip bottom three-fourths of each apple into mixture. Twirl and gently shake to remove excess; return to prepared tray.
- Place remaining 1 cup peanut butter chips and remaining 2 tablespoons shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted when stirred. Spoon over top section of each apple, allowing to drip down sides.
- If using sprinkles, sprinkle them on peanut butter topping while still wet.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Adapted from Hershey’s.