iMOM » Recipes » Snacks » Homemade Marshmallows
Yes, You Can Make Homemade Marshmallows!
- 2 envelopes (2 Tbsp.) unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 egg white
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Soften the gelatin in ½ cup cold water.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and 1/3 cup water.
- Cook to soft ball stage (240 degrees using a candy thermometer) and stir only until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat; stir gelatin to dissolve.
- Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat one egg white to stiff peaks; slowly add the sugar syrup, beating on high speed with an electric mixer until the candy stands in soft peaks.
- Line a 12x10 inch baking dish with parchment paper; pour mixture into the dish. Let this stand overnight.
- Dust the top with confectioner’s sugar; flip marshmallow onto another sheet of parchment.
- Moisten the parchment to remove from the candy.
- Cut in desired size pieces/shapes.
Yield: 1 ½ pounds
*To get taller marshmallows, use a smaller pan. It’s fun to use different cut-outs for the kids. Use on hot chocolate, coffee, or even dip in melted chocolate!