Yogurt and Cinnamon Banana Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, or vanilla flavored yogurt (avoid artificially-flavored yogurt)
- ½ cup walnuts (optional*)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Mash together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until creamy; beat in the egg and vanilla extract with an electric beater. In a third bowl, mash the bananas with the yogurt until smooth. Mix the flour mixture, by hand, into the butter mixture in several additions, alternating with the banana mixture until the batter is smooth. Pour into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the banana bread comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- If you can wait, eat it the next day, when the bread settles and it tastes especially moist and dense.
* You can actually put walnuts in only half of the bread, if preferred. Just push the walnuts into the batter, already in the pan. Then, place walnuts on top of the part of the loaf that contains the walnuts, so you’ll know which part is nutty.