How’s your summer going? Did you have a great Fourth of July? Are you making time to bask in the glow of the summer sun?
Does summer feel stressful to you and you just don’t know how to slow down? iMOM has 10 Ways to Savor Summer – and it’s not a to-do list, it’s a “ta-da” list! These ideas will give you the chance to slow down with your kids and enjoy the summer.
- Blow bubbles: Take your child in the backyard for an afternoon of blowing bubbles. Lazily watch them glitter and float away in the sun.
- Smell the flowers: Point out the daisies and roses and sunflowers to your child, allowing them to lean down and smile at the sweet smells.
- Jump in the sprinklers: Next time you glance out the window and see your sprinklers going off in the yard, allow spontaneity to take over! Tell your family to throw on their bathing suits and be silly running or jumping through the sprinklers.
- Eat ice cream: Beat the heat one afternoon with some deliciously cold ice cream.
- Picnic at the park: Fill a picnic basket with all your favorite fruits, snacks, and sandwiches. Don’t forget a cozy blanket to lie on the ground before setting out for a creative lunch adventure at a local park.
- Draw with chalk: Take advantage of the empty sidewalks in front of your home and allow your child’s imagination to run wild with colorful chalk.
- Write in the sand: During your next beach trip, write messages in the sand with your child. You can start with tiny words before challenging them to write letters bigger than they are!
- Play board games: If your child claims to be bored, bring out the board games! Allow them to pick out some of their favorites and you can even turn it into a tournament one morning.
- Splash around in the pool: Cool off by jumping into your (or a friend’s) pool! You and your child will feel refreshed and ready for plenty of fun in the water.
- Catch butterflies: Make the most of long summer days by exploring your backyard for beautiful butterflies.
Dana Hall McCain writes about marriage, parenting, faith and wellness. She is a mom of two, and has been married to a wonderful guy for over 18 years.