Hang a flag in your home and pledge allegiance to the flag every morning. Talk about the meaning of the words in the pledge and quiz your children about what it means to them. A simple explanation of the words used in the pledge is:
Pledge of Allegiance:
- I pledge allegiance
- to the flag of the United States of America
- and to the republic for which it stands,
- one nation under God,
- with liberty and justice
- for all.
- (I promise my support and loyalty)
- (to the flag which represents all 50 states and territories that together make one nation)
- (and I promise my support and loyalty to the government represented by the flag)
- (a nation and government formed under the guidance of God)
- (a nation that cannot be divided)
- (with people who have freedom and fairness)
- (regardless of their race or religion)
What else would you like your child to memorize this year?