Are you a member of the “Mean Mom” Club? My kids say I’ve definitely earned my membership! Here’s how I did it: I wouldn’t let them have a Coke last week on a school night. Caffeine and early bedtimes don’t mix. My next mean mom moment? We were the first ones to leave an evening pool party—again, on a school night. Everyone else got to stay late. And, finally, I was one mean mom when I wouldn’t let my son have cookies for breakfast. Mean!
If this is what being a mean mom means, then we believe mean moms are the best moms. If you want to get started on being a mean mom, here’s how. Check out our 11 ways to be the meanest mom around.
A mean mom…
- Tries to get her kids to bed on time on school nights.
- Limits the amount of caffeine, sugar, and processed foods her children consume.
- Limits the amount of time her kids spend watching TV, playing video games, and surfing the net.
- Is true to her word. If she says, “You can’t watch TV until your room is clean,” then you can’t watch TV until your room is clean.
- Knows where her kids are at all times—including her teenagers.
- Insists on knowing who her kids are hanging out with.
- Demands that her children show respect to their teachers and other adults.
- Expects her children to do their best.
- Screens the movies and music her children want to see and hear.
- Disciplines her children, even when it breaks her heart.
- Knows that being “mean” will benefit her children in the long run.
Tell Us! In what ways are you a “mean mom?”