5 Ways to Make Family Meals Happen
We all know that eating meals together as a family is ideal – even so, it can be pretty difficult to pull off! But don’t give up. Here are 5 ways to make family meals happen.
1. Schedule It. Look at your family’s schedules – is there one night that looks more manageable than the others? If so, make that “family meal night.” Put it on everyone’s calendar and plan on being home at a certain time – keep that “appointment” just as you would keep a business meeting, a doctor’s appointment, or a sports practice.
2. Weekend Togetherness. Try to eat at least one meal together over the weekend; it can be breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Again, make it part of your family’s routine. Once you do get the gang together, keep the kids at the table even after they’ve finished eating. Use that time to just talk – about something in the news, school updates, or plans for your next family vacation.
3. Meal Plan. Spending half an hour planning the week’s dinner meals can actually save you hours of harried trips to the grocery store and the dread of having to come up with something for dinner. To make meal planning even easier, try eMeals. We’ve partnered with them because we love the way they do the hard work for you!
4. Plan B. If the family is finally going to eat a meal together, but you don’t have anything planned for dinner…wing it. Pick up something from a restaurant, use healthy frozen dinners, or even have a cereal and fruit night. The point is to keep to your schedule of eating together.
5. Keep it Light. Family meal night is a great opportunity to grow closer to your children and your husband. Try to leave heavy topics or criticisms for another time. Make the environment loving and nurturing. Need help finding a fun topic of conversation? Use our TALK Conversation Starters.