Sometimes big problems descend on us suddenly. But more often, they walk up slowly—so slowly that they go unnoticed until it’s too late. Learn the warning signs of some of the most debilitating problems families face so you can act earlier and avoid a crisis in the life of yourself, your husband, and your children.
Signs of Alcohol Abuse or Dependency:
- Drinking alone or outside of normal social patterns
- The inability to socialize without a drink
- An insistence on drinking even when others think it unwise, or in spite of the conflict it causes
- Decreased performance in other areas of life like work, childcare, home keeping, etc.
- A refusal to discuss drinking patterns and negotiate more moderate use
Could You Have a Drinking Problem?
Signs of Prescription Drug Abuse or Dependency:
- Taking higher doses than prescribed, or for longer than prescribed
- Stealing, forging, or selling prescriptions
- Mood swings, increased irritation, or confusion
- Poor coordination (especially with painkillers)
- Changes in sleep patterns or personality
- Impulsiveness or poor decision making
Signs of an Eating Disorder:
- Changes in eating habits, such as a refusal to eat certain food groups or foods, or binge eating
- Distorted body-image or low self- esteem
- Changes in mood; depression or irritability
- Overly thin appearance
- In older children and tweens, emphasis on eating healthy or getting fit
- In teens, preoccupation with food, dieting, or excessive exercise
Signs of an Online Addiction or Negative Online Habits:
- Excessive amounts of time spent online
- Efforts to conceal online activity, such as routinely clearing search histories
- Resistance to allowing other family members to participate in their social media life
- Changes in mood or personality; defensiveness about online activity
Medical information within this site is not intended for use in the diagnosis or treatment of any health condition. Please consult a licensed health care professional for the treatment or diagnosis of any medical condition.
Dana Hall McCain writes about marriage, parenting, faith and wellness. She is a mom of two, and has been married to a wonderful guy for over 18 years.