It was a warm and humid night in the oldest city in the United States known as St. Augustine. I and a few of my friends were ready to watch the annual fireworks show. My heart raced as hundreds of fireworks exploded, one after another, making the sky look like it was on fire. Then three went off in a row spelling U- S- A- as the crowds loudly chanted, “USA, USA, USA.” Then another went shooting into the sky, spelling out FREEDOM as it exploded. The tiny fingers of kids pointed into the sky with amazement in their eyes as their parents started to sing the “Star Spangled Banner.” This place opened my eyes to the true meaning of Independence Day.
Do your kids know the true meaning of July fourth? If not, this trivia below will help unify your family by increasing everyone’s knowledge about our country’s freedom. Test your kids’ knowledge today!
Preparing for the Game:
- Prepare a sheet cake and cut into 24 slices.
- Print out the “4th of July Trivia Game” sheets (1 flag sheet and 1 answer key).
- Cut out each trivia question flag (24 total)
- Fold trivia question in half and place toothpick in the fold, then glue or staple the toothpick in place.
- Using the toothpicks, insert a trivia question flag into each slice of cake. If you are playing with less than 24 people you can insert multiple flags on one piece of cake.
- Choose an adult to moderate the game and give them the answer key.
- Pass out trivia slips or slices of cake. You will notice that each trivia tab has either stars or stripes on it. These represent the two teams, Stars and Stripes. If placing two or more flags on one piece of cake make sure they are from the same team.
- Use the number on the left-hand corner of the flags to determine the order of play. Whoever has number one will start. Continue in numerical order from 1 to 24.
- Number 1 will ask their trivia question to the members of his or her team (Stars or Stripes). The team should deliberate as a group and decide on one answer. The moderator uses the answer sheet to confirm.
- The game moderator must keep score. The team that gets the most answers correct wins!