If only we all had enough time in the day for a long massage and time at night to read a whole book in one sitting. As a mom of four kids, I barely have a chance to take a shower without being needed. Self-care is a MUST when it comes to being a good mom. If you aren’t taking care of yourself, how will you be able to take care of others well?
When flight attendants give instructions before a flight, they always say, “If you are traveling with children or are seated next to someone who needs assistance, place the mask on yourself first, then offer assistance.” If you are not able to function and breathe, you can’t help your child to be able to. If you are an overwhelmed mom, check out these tips to help.
If you are not able to function and breathe, you can’t help your child to be able to.
So if you live in a crazy busy life of mommyhood like me, you might give every reason why you aren’t able to take care of yourself. Put away the excuses and check out this list of 20 simple ways to take care of yourself:
- Sit down for 5 minutes in silence. Just sit and be.
- Take a bath or hot shower before bed.
- Read a fictional book for fun.
- Watch one of your favorite movies or cartoons from when you were a kid. Let your mind drift into nostalgia.
- Listen to your favorite music and sing along—loudly!
- Sit outside in silence and listen to the sounds of nature.
- Ask for help. Life is not meant to be lived alone.
- Go to bed early.
- Say no. Don’t overcommit.
- Set realistic expectations for yourself. Say no to your internal perfectionist. Check out how this destructive mindset can trap you here.
- Memorize your favorite Bible verse. Make a song out of it. Write it down and post it all around you.
- Pray without distraction. On your knees. Out loud. Without multitasking. Click here for a challenge to help guide you.
- Do a prayer walk in your home. Walk from room to room and pray over each space in your home. Pray for your kids in their rooms, your marriage on your bed, and in your family room for your family’s growth.
- Have a regularly scheduled time to meet up with a girlfriend. Make it a priority.
- Have sex. This is good self-care for you, your husband, and your marriage! Read here for tips on making sex happen even when life is crazy.
- Put down your technology. It is one of my worst time wasters that I always regret.
- Exercise regularly. Even if it is just a quick 5-minute power walk. Everyone has time for that!
- Eat to live, don’t live to eat. It’s more than just eating healthy. It’s about shifting your mindset of why you eat. Here are some good thought about developing a healthy mindset about your relationship with food.
- Make a list of 5 things each day you are thankful for. Gratitude changes your attitude. Here’s a cheat sheet to get you started if you are having trouble!
- Laugh out loud. Whether it’s by watching funny videos or reading something, be intentional to make yourself laugh.
So, ladies, it is time to practice good self-care. Pick at least one of these each day and add it to your self-care routine. You won’t regret it.
What are some other simple ways to take care of yourself?
Teri Claassen is a Jesus follower, wife to Dan, mommy to one boy and one girl, a foster mom to kids in need, and a therapist at Renewed Horizon Counseling in Tampa, FL.